Bloodless Medicine & Surgery
The Bloodless Medicine and Surgery Program at Long Island Jewish Forest Hills is designed to provide quality health care without the use of blood products. All our staff members are very concerned with respecting your right to refuse blood transfusions and blood products.
There are a number of reasons why a patient would choose bloodless medicine and surgery:
- To avoid the potential for acquiring blood-borne illnesses such as hepatitis, HIV, West Nile virus and other illnesses
- To avoid unexpected effects of blood transfusions such as infection and transfusion reactions that may include kidney failure, anemia and heart failure
- It has been documented that many patients have shorter hospital stays when they have not received blood, avoiding associated risks
- In order to follow their religious and moral beliefs with dignity
We encourage you to participate in and direct your health care as you work along with the team that will treat you. Therefore, we will provide education for you about the different methods we use in our bloodless program. In addition, you will be assisted with completing an advanced directive or healthcare proxy, if you have not already done so. Copies will be placed in your chart so all your caregivers will be aware of your choices.
Our services include:
- Non-blood alternatives for patients who refuse blood
- A full-time program director who may be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Patient education
- Assistance with preparing advance directives, healthcare proxies and living wills
Office Phone: (718) 830-1180
Email: [email protected]